Whole Foods Market comes to Foggy Bottom

Upscale grocery chain Whole Foods Market will open the doors of its new Foggy Bottom store Tuesday, Sept. 6.

The newest addition to The Avenue complex on the corner of 22nd and I streets will accept GWorld, making it the second grocery chain to accept the dining service.

The two-level store will measure at 36,000 square feet, and will be complete with groceries, made-to-order food, buffets and outdoor seating with free Wi-Fi.

Whole Foods Marketing and Community Relations Team Leader Kim Bryden said the store considered the needs of the Foggy Bottom community during its planning process.

“George Washington University played an instrumental role in supporting the opening of the new store,” Bryden said in an e-mail, adding that extended hours from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. daily and on-the-go amenities will cater to students with active lifestyles.

Though some students are concerned about the store’s notoriously high prices, Bryden said the Whole Foods Foggy Bottom team is working hard to ensure competitive prices while providing customers with high quality products.

The store will open just blocks away from the Watergate Safeway as well as a Trader Joe’s on 25th and L streets.

A public relations spokesperson from Safeway said the company has no plans to end its four-year Colonial Cash partnership. Trader Joe’s does not accept Colonial Cash.