The District Sound

The Weepies
The 9:30 Club
Sept. 5
The Weepies, made up of husband-and-wife duo Deb Talan and Steve Tannen, deliver a lush sound that proves they are more than just your average couple. They are out on an acoustic tour of the U.S. after releasing their fourth major studio album. The pair has a knack for combining simple, yet touching lyrics with amazingly orchestrated harmonies. Expect them to play some fan favorites, including “World Spins Madly On,” as well as some acoustic renditions of earlier tunes. Their chemistry is undeniable, and some lyrics near the point of prophecy. This is definitely a beautiful show worth catching.

Score: A couple truly in love writes about the ups and downs of life.
Bore: Being single at this concert is going to suck.

Lupe Fiasco
Merriweather Post Pavilion
Sept. 12
“Lasers,” Fiasco’s newest album, is an unfocused regurgitation of the world according to Lupe. It starts off fine but has trouble taking flight and never really hits its stride. Fans will hear some tracks off this disappointing release, but the real gems will be the crowd favorites from earlier discs: “Kick, Push II,” “Paris, Tokyo” and of course “Superstar.” Supported by Wale, Miguel, Big Sean and Tinie Tempah, the show is bound to have some redeeming moments. If you can get past the necessary promotion of the new album, it should be well worth the drive to Merriweather.

Score: Lots of talent on this tour and Fiasco’s on-stage banter always keeps the crowd thinking.
Bore: His new album just wasn’t that good. What happened to “LUPEnd?”

The Head and the Heart
The 9:30 Club
Sept. 23
With a wholesome American folk tone, the Head and the Heart’s Pacific Northwest roots are evident in nearly every song. When first listening to their debut, I was nearly transported to a campfire on the Puget Sound. Lyrically, songs are hit-or-miss. Many communicate a relatable longing for simpler times. However, some leave you questioning the band’s understanding of the olden days, like when singer Jon Russell croons, “I wish I was a slave to some age-old trade, like riding ‘round on railcars and working long days.” I’m uncertain as to whether either of those trades qualifies as “age-old,” but maybe I’m diving too deep into the lyrics. Either way, the band puts on an energetic show filled with beautiful harmonies and instrumentation from the talented ensemble.

Score: Folk rock for the crunchy-granola crowd.
Bore: Lyrics are redundant, and they long for an age that may have never even existed.