Women’s soccer adds two recruits

A total of nine recruits will be joining the women's soccer team this season. File Photo

The women’s soccer team announced the arrival of two new Colonials yesterday, adding defender Sarah Hayashi and midfielder Sydney Morris to the roster.

The two new players are the latest members of GW’s incoming recruiting class, joining the seven recruits announced in February.

“Assistant coach Lane Davis and I are thrilled that both Sarah and Sydney have made a commitment to compete for our program and pursue their education at the George Washington University,” head coach Tanya Vogel said. “Our coaching staff is anxiously awaiting the return of our entire team back to Foggy Bottom to begin our preparations for the 2011 season.”

Hayashi, a Mililani, Hawaii- native, won three straight state championships at the Punahou School and was voted to All-State and to the State All-Tournament teams in her final three seasons with the Buffanblu.

Morris, a native of Woodbridge, Va., served as team captain at C.D. Hylton High School for two years, earning team MVP honors three times. She was named 2010 preseason All-Area and 2011 Player to Watch by The News & Messenger and selected to the Second Team All-District three times from 2008-10. Morris also holds her high school’s track records in the 500-meter, 4×400-meter and 4×800-meter runs. She competed in the Virginia Indoor Track State Championships in the 500m and 4x400m events.

The two will join the rest of GW’s squad on their new turf in the upcoming season, beginning preseason training Aug. 4 and hosting District-rival Georgetown in their season opener Aug. 19.