Patrick Nero takes office

Director of Athletics Patrick Nero took office July 1. In the weeks before he took office, Nero, seen here introducing men's basketball coach Mike Lonergan in May, sought to integrate himself as a Colonial. File Photo

Patrick Nero officially began as the GW Director of Athletics today.

Nero has become increasingly visible in the community in the months leading up to his official start date, present at the press conference for incoming men’s basketball head coach Mike Lonergan, other community and campus events and even connecting with fans through a Twitter account.

As he assumes the role, Nero is another symbol of the ongoing shake-up in the Department of Athletics, including an ongoing athletic review, a new head coach for the men’s basketball program and the departure of Associate Athletic Director Dominic Perno.

Before joining the Colonials, Nero served as the Commissioner of the America East Conference, responsible for all facets of the operations of the NCAA Division I Conference. Nero has also held numerous NCAA leadership roles, including serving on the NCAA Division I Leadership Council, NCAA Management Council and the Women’s Basketball Coaches Association Board of Directors.  He is past chair of the Division I Commissioners Association and the NCAA Committee on Women’s Athletics.

Nero was the Director of Athletics at the University of Maine prior to being named Commissioner of the America East Conference. During his tenure at Maine, seven athletics teams qualified for the postseason over a two-year span. He also served as Senior Associate Athletic Director at the University of Miami from May of 1996 until March of 2003, where he was responsible for all aspects of external relations, including fundraising, marketing, corporate sponsorships, media relations, licensing and ticket sale.

Kvancz’s official retirement began yesterday, June 30, after 17 years in the position. He’ll stay on with the University as a special adviser.