Cross country coach resigns

The head coach of the men’s and women’s cross country teams is leaving GW to assume the same role at a Division II school in Florida.

Brian Beil will head up the cross country program at Flager College in St. Augustine, Fla. beginning June 27. Beil was the head coach of the men’s and women’s cross country teams for seven seasons after working as an assistant coach for the Colonials for two seasons.

“The decision to move on has been by far the most difficult I have made in my life to date, and it is with a heavy heart that I leave Foggy Bottom” said Beil. “Over my nine years as a coach at GW I have had the pleasure to come in contact with some truly outstanding individuals who have shaped me as both a person and a coach. I do not have the words to express just how much I will miss the student-athletes, alumni, administration and fellow coaches I am leaving behind.”

During his tenure at GW, Beil’s squads have earned seven first-place team finishes, and 26 athletes have combined for 46 commissioner’s honor roll certificates. Under Beil’s helm, Megan Hogan became the program’s first-ever All-American performer first in 2009 and again in 2010.

“The bulk of my adult life has revolved around working with the student-athletes at GW to help them grow into successful runners and professionals in their field,” Beil said. “While I will miss them dearly and always be a Colonials fan at heart, I am excited for this new opportunity and feel it is time to begin the next chapter in my life.”

GW has already started a national search for Beil’s replacement.

Prior to coming to GW, Beil worked as an assistant coach for East Carolina University’s men’s and women’s cross country and track teams. He earned his bachelor’s degree in health and human performance from East Carolina University in 2000.