Who should I go to if…?

Going to college in a new city can be especially daunting when you have so many questions but aren’t sure who to ask. The Hatchet has compiled a guide of common freshman questions and where you can find answers.

If I my laptop isn’t working?

GW’s Division of Information Technology provides a wide variety of computer repair and maintenance services for students, usually at no charge. Their services include assisting with productivity software, virus cleaning, ordering parts and performing repairs on damaged computers.

“IT support analysts are now available 24 hours a day to assist GW students, faculty and staff with their technology needs with a one-stop shop for general technology support, such as managing repair tickets and basic troubleshooting,” Chief Information Officer David Steinour said.

If I I have problems with my roommate?

Frustrated with your roommate? Roommate conflicts are, unfortunately, a part of many students’ college experiences, but they don’t have to end badly. GW incorporates a house system with class-specific staff members, including house proctors for first-year students.

House Proctors are available to assist students with any issues they might have during their first year on campus, including conflict resolution. There is at least one in every residence hall, and some larger halls have one on every other floor. In Thurston, there are two on each of the floors.

If I I need help with a paper?

In all stages of the writing process, the Writing Center assists many students – from those who struggle with putting words on paper to students who aspire to write professionally.

The Writing Center is an especially useful resource for freshmen writing their first college papers. The Center provides free individual tutoring through 25- and 50-minute appointments.

“Our tutors are highly trained undergraduates, graduate students and faculty members who work one-on-one with students to help with brainstorming, organizing ideas, developing a thesis, incorporating sources, revising drafts and improving grammar,” said acting director of the Writing Center and University Writing professor Emily Bliss.

If I I don’t want to walk home alone at 3 a.m.?

4-RIDE is a safety escort service that provides students with a safe means of traveling around campus at night. Whether you are trying to get home from the library, a friend’s place or a late dinner, a ride is only a phone call and short wait away. From 7 p.m. to 6 a.m., a fleet of 17 vans is available to pick up and transport students.

Also, the university is currently in the process of automating 4-RIDE services to be requested by students online.

“Use 4-RIDE. Recognize that you live in a busy urban environment, and adjust your activities accordingly,” University Police Chief Kevin Hay said. “Develop your ability to be ‘street-wise,’ maintain a sense of situational awareness by staying aware of what is occurring around you.”

If I I feel homesick or depressed?

Being away from home, friends and family can be scary, but GW is prepared to ease you into college with all the resources you need. The University Counseling Center offers a wide variety of services to students, including individual counseling, group counseling, academic support, career counseling and alcohol and drug services.

Students may seek counseling for a variety of reasons, and no issue is too small for the UCC. Initial consultations are free but there is a $50 fee for individual sessions and special assessments. A sliding-scale fee application is available for students with financial concerns.

The Hatchet has disabled comments on our website. Learn more.