Where can I eat?

One of the first things new students need to learn when they embark on their college experience is what and where they will eat without their home cooking and a kitchen.

Your dorm

With no cabinet space and only a microwave to cook with, it’s easy to get discouraged from keeping healthy food in your room. Keep in mind that most halls have a common-area kitchen on each floor or in the basement, and you are always welcome to ask your house proctor if you can use his or her kitchen.

Besides having a freezer fully stocked with frozen meals, it’s a great idea to store snacks in your fridge, such as fruit or milk for cereal.

Eating out: Food trucks

For fun food options in and around campus, D.C. is the gathering ground for at least a dozen food trucks. To find which trucks are near your locale at any given moment, check out ThestrEATS.com. Most of the trucks – offering anything from pizza, to lobster rolls, to cupcakes – have surprisingly good food.

Dining Out: Bertucci’s

For a local sit-down dinner, a student favorite is Bertucci’s, located in the 2000 Penn shopping center. They have great comfort food, such as salads, brick oven pizza, pasta and – everyone’s favorite – free dinner rolls. They also offer a carry-out option, allowing you to order ahead and eat at home.

Brunch: Founding Farmers

For a weekend brunch, especially when the parents are in town, Founding Farmers is the go-to place. While they also offer lunch and dinner, they have a fabulous selection of eggs, waffles and French toast. This year, the restaurant was rated Washington City Paper’s “Best of” for brunch and President Barack Obama’s date night.

Tradition: Ben’s Chili Bowl

This fast-food style joint holds decades of D.C. history and is a local staple, having served chili for more than 50 years. It’s a cab ride, or a bit of a walk, to 12th and U streets, but it’s worth it to grab a hot dog, burger or some chili at least once.

Late night: Johnny Rockets

To end your night off with a bite, Johnny Rockets in Georgetown is open until 4 a.m. on weekends. Gather some friends, put a nickel in the jukebox and grab some burgers, onion rings and other greasy favorites!