What to do in D.C.

Nighttime Monument Tour

Union Station, 50 Massachusetts Ave. NE

As the weather gets hotter and more people view the monuments by day, take a stroll down to the monuments after having dinner in D.C., and view them in a different light. It is a cooler, quieter and completely different feel compared to going during the daylight hours. You can either go for a stroll on your own or join the three hour Washington D.C. After Dark Tour at 7 p.m. at Union Station. Call 888-878-9870 or go to www.dctours.us to check out details on the sites and to reserve tickets.

Capitol Steps

1300 Pennsylvania Ave. NW

The Capitol Steps is a group that has created satirical songs and skits about life on The Hill, government and politics. They’ve been offering laughs since 1981. Performances are every Friday and Saturday at 7 p.m. at the Ronald Reagan Building and International Trade Center in D.C. Tickets are available through Ticketmaster.

The Newseum

555 Pennsylvania Ave. NW

Before New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg gives his Commencement speech on the Mall Sunday, stop by and see the Bloomberg Internet, TV and Radio Gallery and other exhibits featured at the Newseum. The Greenspun Family Terrace on the sixth floor offers a different perspective on Independence Avenue, with views of the Capitol and national monuments.

Kayaking on the Potomac

3500 K St. NW

Jack’s Boathouse is one of several companies that offers kayak rentals and tours on the Potomac River. Perfect for a hot, sunny day, you can either call ahead or just show up to rent. Rentals are available Saturday and Sunday from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. and week days from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. Tour the Memorial Bridge, the Lincoln Memorial, the Washington Monument and the Kennedy Center, all by water.

Biking through D.C.

20th and E St. NW, 21st and I St. NW

D.C. has plenty to offer to novice or experienced bikers. Stop by one of the Capital Bike Share stations, located in places including Foggy Bottom and Georgetown, and pick up a few bikes before heading off on one of D.C.’s bike trails. Bike from the Lincoln Memorial up to the trail that follows the Rock Creek and Potomac Parkway. Visit Dumbarton Oaks Park or Rock Creek Park for scenic views and a picnic lunch. In addition to locations around Foggy Bottom, bikes can be found at Calvert St. and Woodley Pl. NW outside the National Zoo.

National Cathedral

3101 Wisconsin Ave. NW

Many say the National Cathedral is the American equivalent of Europe’s architectural masterpieces. The pipe organ, installed in 1938, consists of 10,647 pipes. Visitors can watch and listen to organ demos Mondays and Wednesdays at 12:30 p.m. The more than 100-year-old Cathedral includes several exhibitions, including a rare books library.

Old Town Alexandria

After a morning in Georgetown, take the water taxi from the Georgetown Waterfront at 31st and K streets to Old Town Alexandria to get a taste of a quaint and normally overlooked area just outside of D.C. The ferry is 45 minutes each way and operates every two hours from 12:30 to 10:30 p.m., 7:30 p.m. on Sundays. Tickets can be purchased online.