Security measures light for University-wide Commencement

Graduates attending the University-wide Commencement ceremony will face lighter security measures compared to last year’s.

Students will not pass through metal detectors before the ceremony on the National Mall, a procedure required last year when first lady Michelle Obama was present, Assistant Vice President for Events and Venues Michael Peller said.

This year, New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg will speak to graduating students and receive an honorary public service doctorate at the ceremony.

Peller also said graduates must be ready by 9:30 a.m., when processions are scheduled to begin. Last year, graduates were required to arrive at 7:30 a.m. due to heavier security procedures.

Students should bring their GWorld cards, which will be “important if students have to move to an alternate site” in the event of inclement weather, University spokeswoman Jill Sankey said.

Both federal and local agencies will coordinate security for the event, and will work alongside the University’s Office of Safety and Security, Peller said.

“Security measures are under the purview of the U.S. Park Police,” Peller said. “We will work with them for the areas under their jurisdiction, while [Metro Police Department] will work with those under their authority.”