SA Senate confirms Richardson cabinet

Senate members, from left, Josh Goldstein, CCAS-U, John Bennett, At Large-U, and Gary Wong, CCAS-G, vote to confirm candidates for President-elect John Richardson's cabinets. Francis Rivera | Assistant Photo Editor

The Student Association Senate-elect approved all 13 of John Richardson’s cabinet nominees Monday night.

Twelve of the president-elect’s cabinet members were approved unanimously, with the vice president for community affairs receiving only one nay.

Senator Manny Iglesias, ESIA-U, refused to vote for Miles Selib as vice president for community affairs because he wasn’t confident in the freshman’s ability to stand up to the Advisory Neighborhood Committee. Selib said he would bring in established student organizations to fight for student interests.

Nupur Moondra, the vice president for financial affairs, will be the only returning cabinet member. Moondra was purposefully kept on, Richardson said, because of the changes to the allocations process. Richardson said he needed someone with experience to guide his cabinet through the process.

Three candidates who could not attend the meeting were also confirmed.

After a failed attempt to postpone the vote to hear from the nominees in person, the senate confirmed Regina Orlando, Rohan Batra, and Anthony Bellmon as vice presidents of public affairs, academic affairs, and undergraduate student policy respectively.

Junior Aria Varasteh, the newly confirmed vice president for student activities, was on the executive board for three student organizations and said his priority is to make sure the SA is strongly advocating for student groups.

Tom Fogarty, a fourth year student in the GW Medical School, will be the vice president for graduate student policy.

Matthew Gripp, another graduate student, was confirmed as the vice president for judicial and legislative affairs. As a graduate of law school, Gripp said he will make sure the senate complies with SA bylaws and charter.

The senate also confirmed the following cabinet members at Monday’s meeting:

Directors

Andrew Goldstein

Representatives to the Joint Committee of Faculty and Students

Dylan Pyne – chair

Kevin Dore

Sam Horowitz

Sen. Gary Wong

Sen. Corey Greaver

SA Representative to the Marvin Center Governing  Board

Aaron Kanarek