Permit issues delay construction

Problems obtaining building permits from the District are delaying the completion of construction at the Delta Tau Delta fraternity house, originally slated for completion in January.

The setback stems from permit applications taking longer than anticipated to be processed, University spokeswoman Michelle Sherrard said, adding that the project is now estimated to be completed by mid-May, and will be ready for brothers to move in by the summer.

“Initial activities included site preparation, interior demolition and foundation work. The subsequent building phase of this project was delayed since D.C. government permit review time took longer than expected,” Sherrard said.

DTD agreed to swap their old townhouse on G Street for two townhouses on the corner of F and 22nd streets last summer. GW offered the fraternity the properties located at 524 and 536 22nd St. in exchange for their old townhouse on G Street, which is being demolished to make room for a parking garage.

The townhouses are the first collective spaces the fraternity will have since their return to campus in 2008, four years after DTD was suspended for hazing allegations.

Sherrard said all the construction and renovation permits are now in hand with no remaining permits pending, the opposite of what the D.C. Department of Consumer and Regulatory Affairs told The Hatchet. A spokesperson for the umbrella department in charge of zoning and permit applications said there is still a permit pending for the house.

Spokesman Helder Gil said the permit, which was allegedly submitted for approval April 18, is pending a review related to fire code regulations.

Members of DTD declined to comment on the delay, citing a confidentiality agreement with the University that prevents the fraternity from discussing the construction with media.