Men’s rowing wins three of four in tri-program meet

Head coach Mark Davis’ team saw success on the water Saturday, winning three of four races, but it was the day’s one loss that Davis fixated upon at the meet’s end.

Saturday’s race was a three-program meet, pitting the Colonials against Rutgers and Georgetown, with GW and the Hoyas competing for the top two slots in each race. The Colonials dropped only one race to Georgetown: the varsity eight-man race.

“I thought that we had some good races from our second varsity boat and our freshman boats,” Davis said “But I feel like our varsity raced very flat.”

The Hoyas took a commanding 6.2 second victory over the Colonials in the varsity eight-man race – a disheartening finish for GW that Davis said indicated a lack of effort from his team.

“It didn’t look like they had a lot of intensity or a lot of enthusiasm while racing,” Davis said. “It was very mediocre.”

Still, the day wasn’t without its successes. The Colonials’ junior varsity eight-man boat defeated the Hoyas by an 8.2 second margin, and GW’s second freshman eight-man boat dominated their race, crossing the finish line 14.1 seconds before the Hoyas and 18 seconds before Rutgers.

The freshman eight-man boat also picked up a victory, narrowly edging out their Georgetown competition by one-tenth of a second. It was an exciting finish, though one Davis said came from inconsistency in his team’s performance.

“The first freshman race was rough at parts but also not rough in other parts,” Davis said. “It was a mixed day.”

The Colonials next take to the water when they travel to Princeton, N.J., April 30, to compete against Columbia and Navy. Davis is intent on examining Saturday’s meet, focusing on tightening the team’s performance heading into next weekend.

“We are going to have to figure that out on Monday,” Davis said. “Hopefully they will come back and work a little harder and make sure that we are ready to go next Saturday.”