GW community celebrates accomplishments at annual Excellence Awards

Senior Michael Komo, left, is presented with the Baer Award for Individual Excellence. He was one of five recipients of the award. Becky Crowder | Hatchet Photographer

This post was written by Hatchet reporter Rachel Getzenberg.

Members of the GW community were honored at the Excellence in Student Life Awards Thursday night, an annual event that celebrates the accomplishments and community service done by students, faculty and administrators throughout the year.

Scattered throughout the awards were performances by the Voice Gospel Choir, GW Ballroom and Forbidden Planet Productions. Even University President Steven Knapp joined in on the performance art, lipsyncing “I’ve Got a Feeling” along with Provost Steven Lerman.

“This is a great event,” senior Ryan Douglass, the winner of the Greek Man of the Year award, said.

“It’s good to see the action I miss on campus. GW is a large campus and there is so much that goes on,” Douglass, a member of the Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity, added. “It’s great to have one event every year that brings it all together.”

Senior Vicktery Sanchez took home the award for Greek Woman of the Year.

“I am so surprised and excited,” Sanchez said.

Pi Kappa Phi won the GW Inter-Fraternity Council award and Phi Sigma Sigma won the GW Panhellenic Association counterpart.

Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. won for the honor for Multicultural Greek Council of the year.

“All of the students are amazing at GW,” Jazmine Dorsey, winner of the GW Student Employee of the Year award, said. “It’s not about the piece of paper. It’s about what you do to help the University.”

Freshman Catherine Betancourt, a member of GW Ballroom, said she enjoyed the event.

“It was a good presentation. Student orgs we didn’t even know existed were recognized,” she said.

Other notable undergraduate student awards went to Alyssa Hart, who was recognized as House Staff Member of the Year and Colby Anderson, who won the Mount Vernon Campus award for being the “voice of the Vern.”

Graduate students and faculty members were also honored at the event.

Anna Hickner, a graduate student in the psychology department, took home the GradLife Award for Individual Excellence.

Student Activities Center Coordinator Heather Schoff and School of Media and Public Affairs professor Jason Osder were recognized with awards as outstanding members of the staff and faculty, respectively.