Posner, Chiddy Bang rock Spring Fling

The Smith Center quickly hit its 800-person limit Saturday night, as students waited outside in the rain, some for more than a half hour, to catch singer Mike Posner and hip-hop duo Chiddy Bang’s Spring Fling performance.

Strong storms and the threat of tornados moved the annual spring event indoors, canceled Program Board’s plan to sell beer and nixed all of the carnival events that usually go along with the day. Construction blocking four out of the six exits to the building limited the number of attendees.

But the change of venue and audience capacity did not hinder the vibe inside the concert, as members of the crowd sung along, waved their arms, snapped their fingers and screamed with excitement at the start of each new song.

“Considering that we had to move inside because of the severe weather, everything turned out great. We couldn’t have been happier with the performances and with the crowd,” Program Board chair Wesley Callahan said.

Chiddy Bang – an alternative hip-hop band – freestyled on about

10 topics suggested by audience members, including Smurfs, partying and Alpha Phi.

They ended their set with their remix of the well-known MGMT song, “Kids.”

Although the crowd thinned during the break between performers, the room filled up again when Posner took the stage.

“Both artists killed it, Chiddy Bang is one of the best rappers I’ve seen and Posner is definitely one of the up-and-coming stars,” Program Board concert chair Daniel Reef said.

As performer Chiddy exited the Smith Center, he said he had a fantastic time.

“Great energy, thumbs up for GW,” he said.

Senior Sophia Carter said she liked Chiddy Bang’s show so much, she would pay to see them at the 9:30 Club.

“I liked the freestyle part,” Carter said.

While singing “Bow Chicka Wow Wow,” Posner danced with a female student on stage and gave her a giant teddy bear to go along with the line, “I brought you flowers and a teddy.”

He kissed the girl on the cheek before a stage crew member escorted her off stage.

Posner’s face was streaked with sweat as he did his signature bob-up-and-down dance move throughout the show. He played a white piano and a drum that sprayed glitter when he banged it with the drumsticks.

He also descended into the crowd twice, and performed an encore of his latest hit, “Cooler than Me,” in a GW jersey.

Freshman Corey Barton said his favorite part was the joint performance by Posner and Chiddy Bang.

“It was interesting because people were falling, people were pushing, people were like, ‘Oh my God it’s Mike Posner,’ ” Barton said.