GW sports weekend wrap-Up

We didn’t have enouch space on our page today for all of the GW sports action, so here’s a quick look at what the Colonials did over the weekend:

Golf

The Colonials fell by just one stroke to Harvard at the Century Intercollegiate men’s golf tournament Sunday, despite shooting the lowest team round that day.

Junior Martin Liu was also a stroke away from an individual title, shooting a 74 Sunday to fall just one behind the winner of the individual title.

The Colonials headed into Sunday’s play with a combined 328, putting them at fourth place overall. GW fought to overcome inclement weather that forced it to start later than other teams Saturday, and shaved 27 shots off their score Sunday, finishing second.

GW will next travel to Howey-In-the-Hills, Fla., for the Atlantic 10 Championships, scheduled for April 29- May 1.

Lacrosse

The women’s lacrosse team bested Atlantic 10 opponent Saint Joseph’s 9-3 Sunday, tying them for fourth place in the conference with Duquesne.

Junior Megan Seidman lead all players with her hat trick, including two early goals that gave GW (6-10) a lead it would never relinquish. Senior Audrey Joy and redshirt senior Mia Breheny each added goals to bring the Colonials to a 6-2 lead heading into halftime. Sophomore Nicole Lacey and junior Casey Disharoon each scored early into the second, capping GW’s 5-0 run. Joy scored her second goal with 7:37 left in the game to add the Colonials’ final point to the board.

Senior goalkeeper Liz Hoffman allowed a career-low three goals and made four saves. GW gave up only 13 shots, and the three allowed goals matched its season-best.

The Colonials will next host Richmond April 22 at 4 p.m.

Rowing

The men’s rowing team took fourth place at the Southern Intercollegiate Rowing Association Championships this weekend, and the women’s team earned sixth at the Atlantic 10 Championships.

Men’s crew had three boats competing in the Grand Finals of the SIRA Championships, earning fourth place in Varsity 8, Junior Varsity 8, and Freshmen 8 Sunday. Saturday, GW earned five wins and six top-two finishes, and the weekend ended in ten top 5 finishes at the SIRA Championship Regatta.

The men’s rowing team will next host Georgetown and Rutgers April 23, with the race scheduled to begin at 4 p.m.

The women’s rowing team won the Varsity 4 and Varsity 8 Petit Finals at the Atlantic 10 Championship Saturday, ultimately placing sixth of nine with 24 points. The Colonials didn’t qualify for any Grand Championships, but managed to pick up their wins in the Petit Finals with margins of victory of 34 and 23 seconds, respectively. Sophomore Anna Kaminski was also named to the A-10 All-Championship First Team.

The Colonials next host Indiana and West Virginia April 22 at 8 a.m.