‘Funk Academy’ teaches the art of hip-hop’

Culture Shock D.C. brought their own unique style to the Capital Funk showcase. Zachary Krahmer | Hatchet photographer

Capital Funk owned the stage Saturday night with their fourth annual hip-hop showcase, “Funk Academy.”

Showcase Director and alumnus James Bayot said this year’s showcase offered a wider range of performances, including a more diverse set of styles and art forms.

“We want to give people a real variety of performances,” Bayot said. “We’re trying to make this showcase different from any other event that comes to campus.”

In the past, Capital Funk’s showcases have consisted mainly of different dance crews, Bayot said. This year’s show included singers, spoken word artists and beatboxers.

Bayot said his goal was to truly capture the spirit of hip-hop culture.

“The only thing we’re missing is a live DJ or a graffiti artist, and I don’t think that would fly in Lisner,” Bayot said.

Capital Funk was accompanied by four other dance crews – Major Definition, University of Maryland’s Dynamic
Dance Team, Culture Shock D.C. and West Springfield Dance Team from West Springfield High School in Virginia.

The event featured slam poetry by local spoken word artists “Jusme” and Elizabeth Acevedo. The lineup also included performances by the MC trio “Nana and Friends,” singer Ryan Gabrielle and beatboxer Matt Wilson.

Sophomore Chris Kim, a member of Capital Funk, said the diversity of the show’s lineup reflects the diversity of dancers within Capital Funk.

“I like to call Capital Funk the epitome of diversity,” Kim said. “You’re not going to meet a group of people as eccentric and unique as Capital Funk.”