University announces more Commencement speakers

Representatives from NASA, local educators and business moguls will respectively headline seven graduation ceremonies in May.

The Elliott School of International Affairs will host NASA Deputy Administrator Lori Garver, who received her master’s degree at GW.

“We are proud and honored to host Elliott School alumna Lori Garver as the school’s celebration speaker,” Elliott School Dean Michael E. Brown said. “Lori exemplifies a strong commitment to the field of international affairs and the extraordinary career paths of our school’s alumni.”

Louis Rosenfeld, the managing director of currency and commodities at the Goldman Sachs Group, will speak at the Commencement ceremony for undergraduate programs in the GW School of Business.

While he worked at Bear Stearns, Rosenfeld helped develop a recruiting relationship with the business school’s career center.

The business school’s graduate speaker will be Mark Lerner, principal owner and vice chairman of the Washington Nationals Baseball Club.

Another NASA representative, Michael Griffin, will speak at the School of Engineering and Applied Science Celebration. Griffin served as administrator of NASA under George W. Bush.

For the Graduate School of Education and Human Development, Matthew Tosiello, a third-grade teacher at Randolph Elementary School, will speak about his firsthand experience in the world of education.

Tosiello, who earned a graduate degree from GW just four years ago, was named as Arlington Public Schools 2011 Teacher of the Year.

“The field of education is rapidly changing and I am immersed in it daily,” Tosiello said. “I hope to articulate what the Class of 2011 can expect and also mix in some practical advice.”

Anthony Carnevale, director of the Georgetown University Center on Education and the Workforce, will be speaking before graduates of the GW College of Professional Studies.

“I am honored to be speaking there. I will be talking about the relationship between college and adult education and jobs essentially and how that’s changed over the past 30 years or so and how it’s likely to change over in the future,” Carnevale said.

The GW School of Nursing will receive an address from Geraldine Bednash, chief executive officer and executive director of the American Association of Colleges of Nursing.

The University had not yet announced the speakers for the Columbian College of Arts and Sciences or the School of Public Health and Health Services.