Sports in Brief

Kvancz, Feinstein to headline NCAA discussion

WRGW will host Athletic Director Jack Kvancz and Washington Post sports columnist John Feinstein Thursday for a discussion on the most recent NCAA Men’s Basketball Tournament, Kvancz’s career at GW and the state of college athletics in mid-major conferences.

Kvancz, who earlier this semester announced he would retire June 30, has been the head of the athletic department at GW for 17 years. GW basketball teams have made 18 total NCAA tournament appearances during his tenure, and he’s the only person in NCAA history to hold a job as an athletic director at Division I, Division II and Division III schools without ever being fired. Kvancz also served as a member of the Men’s Basketball Selection Committee at GW from 1998 to 2003. He plans to assume a role as special adviser to the University post-retirement.

Feinstein is a sportswriter, author and sports commentator. He has worked as a staff columnist at the Post, and has written for Sports Illustrated and The National Sports Daily. Feinstein works as a commentator on NPR’s “Morning Edition,” contributes to ESPN’s “The Sports Reporters” and is a visiting professor at Duke University. Feinstein’s 1989 book about the 1985-86 Indiana University basketball team, “A Season on the Brink,” is often touted as the best-selling sports book of all time, and was made into the first ESPN television movie in 2002.

The event will take place in the Jack Morton Auditorium at the School of Media and Public Affairs. Doors will open at 6:30 p.m. and a reception on the second floor of SMPA is scheduled to follow the talk.

Number Crunch: 3

The number of individual championships men’s golfer Andres Pumariega has won in a row, a GW record.