Former professor formally charged with possession of child pornography

A former part-time Italian language professor was officially charged with possession of child pornography Monday in U.S. District Court.

The U.S. attorney charges that on or about Oct. 25, 2010, Diego Fasolini “did knowingly possess 600 or more images of child pornography,” according to the document, much less than the 100,000 images he was originally thought to possess.

Fasolini’s attorney, Shawn Moore, and the U.S. attorney prosecuting the case, David Kent, worked since November to reach a plea deal. The document filed on Monday, an information document, is a substitute for a formal indictment.

A forfeiture allegation was also filed, and requests that Fasolini forfeit the hard drive he originally gave to Columbian College Office of Technology Services Oct. 22. Fasolini must also forfeit a laptop, a one-use camera, an external hard drive, a DVD, two 1-gigabyte USB drives, and a separate USB flash drive, according to the document.

The court document states that if any property listed cannot be retrieved, it is the intention of the U.S. to “seek forfeiture of any other property of said defendant up to the value of said property listed above as being subject to forfeiture.”

Moore declined to comment Tuesday on the case’s status.

U.S. Attorney’s Office spokesman Bill Miller said Tuesday that a judge hasn’t set the next court date for the case yet.