UPD arrests theft suspect

University Police Department officers arrested a suspected bike thief Thursday during a plainclothes sting aimed at stemming the rising number of bike thefts on both the Foggy Bottom and Mount Vernon campuses.

Seventy-eight bikes have been stolen on both the Foggy Bottom and Mount Vernon campuses, at an average of two to three bikes per week since July, UPD Chief Kevin Hay said.

Hay said his department set up a plainclothes detail in University Yard to try and catch the bike thief, as it is a common site for bike theft.

Officers arrested David Albert Jones after they found the suspect with a suspected stolen bicycle, tools, cutters and a damaged bike lock in University Yard.

Officers believe Jones is linked to three other bike thefts since mid-February.

UPD has also arrested Jones three times since 2002 for offenses related to stealing bicycles.

“He has been barred from campus again as the result of this case and we have recent photos of him for roll call,” Hay said.

Jones was transported to the Second District Metropolitan Police Department station for processing on a charge of unlawful entry, after UPD provided a copy of the barring notice.

He was also charged with possessing “implements of crime,” according to a police report.

Jones is currently on probation, which will likely now be revoked while he is in custody, Hay added.

“GW students and staff are reminded to register their bikes and to secure them in a manner that deters potential thieves,” Hay said.

He said using two locks could encourage thieves to look for easier targets.

Higher-end mountain bikes are most commonly stolen, as they can be sold quickly for cash.