Turkish group presents fourth annual Turkish Night

Performers from the D.C.-based Kardelen Group perform a traditional Turkish dance Wednesday. Elisa Apelian | Hatchet Photographer

This post was written by Hatchet reporter Rachel Hodin.

The Turkish Student Association and GW Unicef teamed up Wednesday night to put on the fourth annual GW Turkish Night, a culturally engaging and didactic event highlighting Turkey’s National Children’s Day.

Amidst GW’s urban and relatively dismembered environment, the TSA stood out as a distinctly cohesive group – all seemingly born with an innate Turkish pride.

Freshman Gizem Tunca, the public relations officer of the TSA, said the goal for the event  was to reach out to the community.  In light of recent global catastrophes, Tunca said the need for compatible communities is particularly relevant.

A sea of Turkish delicacies – gozleme and sultac, to name a few – decorated the Marvin Center’s Continental Ballroom and the faint song of the Turkish flute, the ney, and the strums of the guitar filled the room.  The fact that all proceeds went to children in need was just the oreo on top of the already-heavenly Sprinkles cupcakes.

As Turkey’s beautiful landscape flashed by on the background screen and nostalgic and homesick cries reverberated throughout the room, a cloudy beverage triggered delicate chatter.

“Lion milk is what we call it,” sophomore Ebru Onugoren said of the Turkish drink known as Raki. “It’s a symbol of manhood.  Let’s say…I bring my husband home.  My father will make him drink it.  And if he drinks it, then he is a man.”

After an array of speakers, Turkish dance group Kardelen took the stage.  Kardelen, which translates to “one that pierces through the snow,” gives a portion of their proceeds to all children in need.  Bedecked in red robes and red hats with gold and silver adornments, the group’s dainty hip sways and shimmies made for a subtly seductive dance.