Faculty uneasy about alternative parking options in place of main garage

Faculty are again criticizing GW’s proposed plan to offset parking spaces that will be lost when its main garage is torn down for the Science and Engineering Complex.

The University Parking Garage on H Street will close after Commencement weekend in May. Valet parking at several on-campus garages and discounted Kennedy Center parking rates will compensate for the 1,250 lost spots in the interim period, Senior Associate Vice President of Operations Alicia O’Neil Knight said at this month’s Faculty Senate meeting.

The presentation drew ire from Faculty Senate members who said they should have a voice in major planning decisions that affect faculty on a daily basis. Knight is scheduled to meet with faculty members Friday to discuss the proposed plan.

Michael Castleberry, chair of the executive committee of the Faculty Senate, said switching an individual’s parking spot changes the rhythm of that person’s life. He said originally, a committee was supposed to be convened to discuss the impact of SEC construction on parking. The committee never met.

“Faculty are concerned about the burden on many staff who are scheduled to park at the Kennedy Center for several years,” Castleberry said. “There is no clear alternative since we will not have the parking garage.”

Knight said the University recognizes that parking changes will affect faculty, staff, students and the GW community as a whole.

“During this transition, GW is committed to ensuring the parking requirements of all constituents continue to be accommodated,” Knight said, adding that a final decision has not yet been reached.

School of Medicine and Health Sciences professor and Faculty Senate member Gary Simon said he wants to see data on the number of parking spots at each garage.

“Who’s parking where, and what happens when there is overflow for certain people? How do all the things fit into the places that they have described,” Simon said.

Some staff will relocate to parking at the Kennedy Center at a reduced rate of $150 monthly, compared to the $230 monthly rate for full-time faculty and staff to park on campus. Parking will be available from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m., along with a shuttle service to campus, some staff said.

Faculty, visitors, students and patients will be able to park in on-campus spots during the interim phase, according to the plan. Those who opt to relocate to the Kennedy Center will be given priority as on-campus parking spots open up.

Faculty will be accommodated at garages including at the Lerner Health and Wellness Center, South Hall and Old Main. Patients and visitors will be placed in spots in the Academic Center, Marvin Center and Medical Faculty Associates garages.

The Academic Center, Funger and Duques halls and the Marvin Center will all offer valet operations and visitor parking.

The interim phase will end by fall 2012, when the Law Learning Center underground garage that will be located on the 2000 block of G Street is expected to be completed. It will add 450 parking spaces.