Three basketball players to transfer from GW

Men’s basketball sophomore guard Tim Johnson and freshman forward Chris Fitzgerald will transfer from GW, a University official close to the athletic department said Wednesday. Women’s basketball sophomore guard Janine Davis will also transfer, the official said.

Johnson, a Harvey, Ill., native, averaged 9.3 minutes and 3.4 points per game last season for the Colonials. The sophomore appeared poised early on for a strong second season in Foggy Bottom, averaging 20 minutes of playing time in GW’s first four regular season games and scoring a team-high 19 points in GW’s exhibition win over Bowie State Nov. 6. Johnson’s minutes dropped off significantly though once conference play began, and the sophomore played in just seven of the Colonials’ 16 regular-season Atlantic 10 games.

Like Johnson, Fitzgerald also enjoyed some early success this season, scoring 16 points and shooting 50 percent from behind the three-point line in his first appearance as a Colonial, a 79-59 win over Marist. Fitzgerald failed to score more than six points in a game for the remainder of the season though, and he finished the season averaging just 3.1 points and 7.2 minutes per game. The freshman appeared in just four of GW’s 16 regular-season A-10 games.

Davis averaged 15.1 minutes per game for an injury-plagued women’s basketball team this season. She played in 21 of the Colonials’ 29 games this season and started twice for women’s basketball head coach Mike Bozeman. As a freshman in 2009-2010, Davis played in all 28 of GW’s games and started 13 of them. She also led the Colonials in assists as a freshman with 61.

Davis confirmed she was transferring but said she was unavailable for an interview. Fitzgerald and Johnson have not returned a request for comment.