Candidates rally election day support

Dreary skies did not damper the first day of Student Association elections, as candidates and supporters took to H Street Wednesday in a final push for votes.

Wearing colorful campaign T-shirts and handing out palm cards, candidates mingled with one another and talked with passing students about their platforms.

Cory Grever, running for an undergraduate-at large senate seat, had several cases of orange soda with his name and campaign slogan taped around each can to hand out. Grever himself wore a matching bright orange jacket.

“It goes along with my whole ‘refreshing’ campaign of trying to bring in ideas that we know are tangible that can happen,” Grever said.

Sophomore Hugo Scheckter, running for a GW School of Business undergraduate senate seat, was passing out Krispy Kreme doughnuts and by mid-morning, had estimated he’d gone through about 15 boxes.

“I’m just trying to get my name out there,” Scheckter said. “If you use food it’s more than just giving a piece of paper… it stays with them for a little while.”

Ted Costigan, running for executive vice president, was the first candidate out and estimated he had met 40 students by 8:15 a.m.

“It’s about getting out and meeting the student body,” said Costigan, a current SA senator for the Columbian College of Arts and Sciences. “That’s what the SA is about, a voice for the students.”

A car parked in front of the Marvin Center adorned with “Costigan for EVP” posters blasted his “Cast a Vote for Costigan” campaign song on a loop.

“If it gets stuck in students’ heads, then hopefully they’ll vote for me,” Costigan said.

Other candidates passed out food and drinks to try to entice potential voters.

Joint Elections Committee chair Galen Petruso said no major incidents had been reported during the day. Minor gaffes with the online voting system occured last year.

Petruso said his committee was pleased with the overall election day enthusiasm.

“Anyone who has walked around campus today can attest to the great effort candidates are making to reach voters,” Petruso said.

Online polls close Thursday at 9 p.m. The JEC will announce the results afterward in the Marvin Center Continental Ballroom.