Three Colonials earn A-10 weekly honors

Lots of news in the world of GW sports today, so here’s a rundown of the Colonials sports news from today:

Men’s Tennis – Freshmen win Atlantic 10 honors

Freshmen Viktor Svensson and and Ulrik Thomsen were named Atlantic 10 Rookie Player of the Week and Men’s Tennis Performer of the Week, respectively, the League announced Monday.

The honors come on the heels of an outstanding weekend of play for both GW rookies. Thomsen went 4-0 in his doubles and singles matches over the weekend, and was the only Colonial to pick up a singles victory over opponent VCU Sunday. Svensson extended his singles-win streak to seven with his victory over Richmond in straight sets. Additionally, the two teamed up to defeat both Richmond and VCU in doubles matches.

Next up, the Colonials travel to Boca Raton, FL, to take on Florida Atlantic Sunday, March 13, at 1 p.m.

Men’s Squash – Sobhy wins Malloy Cup

GW sophomore Omar Sobhy led all Colonials squash players at the College Squash Association Individual Nationals, winning the Malloy Cup (B Division) Championship. It was the GW Squash program’s first individual championship.

Sobhy entered the tournament as the 88th ranked player in the CSA, and was seeded 15th heading into the B-division draw of players. He earned five straight victories on his way to the championship, defeating Matt Domenick of the University of Rochester in straight sets during the finals. Sobhy’s performance, the first time a GW player has advanced past the second round of Nationals, earned him a final ranking of No. 33 in the United States.

Hogan joins Team USA Minnesota

Megan Hogan, a former standout member of the GW cross country team and two-time NCAA All-American, joined Team USA Minnesota and will make her professional road-racing debut on March 12 at the USA 15K Championships in Jacksonville, FL.

During her tenure at GW, Hogan earned eighth place at the 2010 NCAA Championships, qualifying for three straight NCAA Championships overall. In 2010, she also repeated as Atlantic 10 individual champion, A-10 women’s cross-country Performer of the Year and Student-Athlete of the Year.

Softball- Lenhart named A-10 Rookie of the Week

GW freshman Chelsea Lenhart was named Atlantic 10 Rookie Performer of the Week Monday.

The announcement comes after Lenhart went 6-for-15 in four games this week, earning a double and her first collegiate triple. She also stole two bases and scored a run on Army Saturday afternoon. A lead off batter for the Colonials, Lenhart’s batting average is .400.

Lenhart and the Colonials next travel to Hampton, VA, to take on Hampton University Tuesday for a doubleheader starting at 12 p.m. Then, GW heads to the Winthrop/ Adidas Invitational March 11-13.