SA Guide: Kwasi Agyeman

Age: 20

Year: Junior

Major: History

Hometown: Brooklyn, N.Y.

Embarrassing freshman year moment: I came to CI with everything I owned in my car because I thought it was freshman move-in day.

Next song University President Steven Knapp should dance to: “Like a G6” by the Far East Movement

Platform: centralize all academic tutoring in one location; create “legacy” funding for older student organizations; host twice-annual SA “State of the University”

For Kwasi Agyeman, running for the Student Association is about bringing transparency to the SA, as well as a greater focus on “micro-level” issues.

If elected, he said he won’t focus all his time on big issues like renovating Gelman Library or overhauling J Street dining – subjects that have been greatly discussed within the SA in recent years.

Instead, Agyeman said the SA needs to concentrate on the smaller issues that affect students, like ensuring there are enough computers and chairs in Gelman.

As an SA outsider, Agyeman said he decided to run to represent “the average student” who he said has never been involved with the SA but still wants to give his or her input.

“It’s time for one of us to step up,” Agyeman said.

Agyeman said he would promote SA transparency from the very start of his term through a “State of the University” address, introducing all current members of the organization and the issues they intend to tackle. Agyeman said he hopes to organize this event again in the spring to detail the status of projects.

He added that the SA’s financial process also needs reform. He wants student organizations that have been active on campus for at least 10 years to be given special “legacy” budgets, based on their budgets from prior years. Agyeman said he intends to allocate funds to organizations that have shown they’re capable of putting on events, ensuring that funding for annual events will not be a problem.

“It creates financial confidence for longstanding organizations,” Agyeman said, adding the organizations would also be able to apply for additional funding if necessary.

Agyeman said GW also needs to be more unified, and he wants to bring the entire campus together with a special “Buff and Blue Block Party” to celebrate and generate a sense of school pride.

“Students deserve this,” Agyeman said. “We can make this happen.”