SA Guide: Caleb Raymond

Age: 20

Year: Junior

Major: Sociology

Hometown: Boca Raton, Fla.

Embarrassing freshman year moment: Raymond could not think of an embarrassing moment.

Next song University President Steven Knapp should dance to: “Like a G6” by the Far East Movement

Platform: increase funding for student orgs; increase advocacy for students; increase efficiency for the University

For Caleb Raymond, it’s about bringing true advocacy to the Student Association.

The former SA senator – who chose not to seek re-election last year after growing disenchantment with the body’s ineffectiveness and endless internal dealings – said after taking a step back from the organization, he wants to recommit to being a true voice for students.

“The SA is here to represent the student body. Focusing on internal reform defeats that purpose,” Raymond said. “I want to find ways to mend the school and make the community come together for a stronger campus.”

As someone with previous experience in the SA, Raymond said he would be able to hit the ground running from day one.

“I’ve worked with the administration, I know how to talk to them, and I know who is the most receptive,” Raymond said. “I know how to work the system to get things done faster than candidates who have never experienced it.”

As president of the Colonial Brass – the University’s band – Raymond said he recognizes both sides of the SA-student organization relationship and has gained perspective on how the SA should work with students. If elected, Raymond intends to tackle funding problems student organizations face, which he said is the biggest problem on campus.

“If organizations have problems paying for programming, the SA should be giving them more money. It is the SA’s responsibility to have funding for them, and if there is not enough, it is the SA’s responsibility to seek more funding through grants and innovation,” Raymond said.

Raymond added he would like to increase communication among student organizations through monthly meetings with organization leaders.

“I want to shift the focus onto the current student and what they would like to see change,” Raymond said. “Students don’t care about the SA right now, and it is time to bring them back in… all they have to do is care and see that we care about them.”