Varsity roundups: Lacrosse; softball; baseball

Women’s lacrosse team falls in uncontested battle to Patriots

The Colonials were defeated by District rival George Mason Wednesday, falling 17-9 in a contest where the Patriots never once relinquished the lead.

George Mason opened the game with a 4-0 scoring run and continued to play well offensively, heading into halftime with a 7-4 lead. The Patriots expanded their lead in the second with an 8-0 scoring run that cemented the victory, holding the Colonials (1-4) scoreless for 20 minutes of the second half.

Several players scored for GW, including senior attack Mia Breheny, senior midfielder Audrey Joy and junior midfielder Sarah Phillips. Breheny and Phillips also added an assist each during the game. Redshirt senior Laura Dominiak provided the driving force on defense for the Colonials, leading all players with seven ground balls and three caused turnovers.

GW next travels to Virginia Tech Saturday, March 5, at 1 p.m.

Softball divides home opener

GW split its doubleheader home opener Tuesday, falling 8-5 to UMBC in the first game but coming back in the second for a 4-2 victory.

The Colonials (3-3) jumped out to a quick 2-1 lead in the bottom of the second in the first game, but UMBC battled back, scoring five runs in the third and furthering its lead with two more runs to cement the victory.

In the second game, UMBC took a 2-1 lead in the third, but it was the Colonials’ turn to come back and earn a lead, overtaking the Retrievers in the sixth inning. Freshman catcher Chelsea Curcio and junior pinch-runner Amanda Zakeri both scored on passed balls, and sophomore infielder Julie Orlandi scored the final run for the Colonials.

GW hosts Army this weekend at the Mount Vernon Field, playing back-to-back doubleheaders Saturday, March 5, and Sunday, March 6. Both doubleheaders are scheduled to start at noon.

Colonials fall to Georgetown

GW baseball fell in its home opener to District rival Georgetown 12-7, unable to overcome an early offensive attack by the Hoyas.

Georgetown exploded for an early lead, earning three runs in both the third and fourth innings before adding six more in the eighth to take a commanding 12-1 lead. GW (2-6) fought back in the bottom of the eighth, starting with two runs off freshman Owen Beightol’s double. The Colonials scored four more runs in the eighth, capping the inning with an RBI single from junior infielder Brett Bowers that sent senior centerfielder Brendon Kelliher home. The Hoyas shut down GW’s rally in the ninth, however, striking out the first three Colonials to head to the plate.

GW will attempt to end its four-game losing streak this weekend, when it hosts Iona Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Friday’s game is scheduled for 2:30 p.m. u