Avenue businesses to open in March

Two businesses are expected to open this month at The Avenue, the mixed-use development site along Pennsylvania Avenue nearing completion after nearly 3 years of construction.

Danaher Corp., a technological design and manufacturing company headquartered in the District, is expected to open in early March as the first commercial tenant.

Devon & Blakely, a sandwich shop that has two other D.C. locations, is expected to open later this month.

Jake Stroman, senior project manager at Boston Properties, said exact dates have not been finalized for the openings, but confirmed that both businesses are opening this month or early next month.

Steven Murphy, the general manager of the The Avenue’s Devon & Blakely, said the company is very excited for its new location to open.

“It’s always exciting to open new stores and to be one of the first businesses to open,” Murphy said.

The store will offer both takeout and sit-down options, with about 25 seats, Murphy said.

The company hasn’t finalized the number of employees needed, but Murphy predicted about 12 to 18 people will be hired.

Stroman said Devon & Blakely take up 2,500 square feet of the 450,000 square-foot building it’s housed in.

A spokesperson for Danaher did not return a request for comment, and Stroman did not have further details on Danaher’s opening.

A corporate office for Danaher is already located at 2099 Pennsylvania Ave., just blocks away from The Avenue, which is located at 2200 Pennsylvania Ave.

Other leases in the commercial component of The Avenue include financial institution Ares Capital, shared office space company Regus, and three law firms: Bergeson & Campbell, Hunton & Williams, and Vinson & Elkins.

Retail in the office space includes day-care operator Childrens’ Creative Learning Center, NIH Federal Credit Union and two restaurants from Passion Food Hospitality called District Commons and Burger, Tap & Shake.

Richard Ellis, a project manager for Boston Properties specializing in the residential side of the complex, said the residential building will begin pre-leasing apartments in late March and will open in May.

Ellis said apartment prices will be released in late March. Apartments range in size from 526 to 1,068 square feet.

On the residential side of the property, a Whole Foods Market grocery is expected to open by this fall. Other retail leases include the bistro Circa, a Citibank branch and the restaurants Roti and Sweetgreen.