Sports In Brief

Rhinehart named Co-Atlantic 10 Swimming Coach of the Year

Swimming head coach Dan Rhinehart was named Co-Atlantic 10 Men’s Swimming Coach of the Year Saturday after leading the men’s swimming team to a fourth-place finish at the Atlantic 10 Men’s & Women’s Swimming & Diving Championships over the weekend, the best finish for the men’s swimming team since the 2004-2005 season.

The women’s team, also coached by Rhinehart, finished in eighth place but broke a 16-year-old record Wednesday on the first day of the four-day meet. Senior Paola Leor and freshmen Caroline Myers, Sloan Saunders and Taylor Cole combined to swim the 800-yard freestyle in 7:34.01, more than a second faster than the previous record, set in 1995.

Leor also broke a pair of GW records Thursday, setting new marks in the 200-yard individual medley and the 50-yard freestyle. Leor’s time of 55.02 seconds in the 100-yard butterfly Friday also set a program record. Myers set her own GW record Friday in the 400-yard individual medley.

The men’s team finished off its meet Saturday night with a victory in the 400-yard freestyle relay from junior Marshall Seedorff, freshman Niccolo Wilson and sophomores Phillip Graeter and Alex Etz. The four-man team completed the relay in 3:02.

Baseball swept in weekend series against Tulane

The baseball team struggled in the Big Easy over the weekend, suffering a road sweep in New Orleans at the hands of Tulane.

The Colonials led game one Friday night, taking a 4-1 lead into the sixth inning on the strength of a solid start from sophomore Brian Derner, who gave up just one earned run on four hits over six and one-third innings of work. The GW bullpen struggled to hang onto the lead though over the final two and two-thirds innings, and the Green Wave earned the game one victory 5-4.

Saturday, GW struggled at the plate against Tulane, falling 12-1. Freshman first baseman Jordan Berry drove in the only run for the Colonials, who stranded 13 runners and had just five hits with runners in scoring position. Senior Joe Richardson took the loss for GW after giving up six earned runs over four innings.

GW once again fell victim to a Green Wave rally Sunday, falling 4-3 after taking a 3-1 lead into the eighth inning. Colonials starter Bobby Lucas surrendered just one run and one hit over his five and a third innings of work, but the bullpen once again couldn’t keep Tulane off the board in the final frames. Junior second baseman Ollie Mittag was three for four Sunday in the GW loss, and freshman left fielder Owen Beightol had the Colonials’ only two RBIs on a fifth-inning double.

The Colonials will have their home opener Wednesday at Barcroft Park in Arlington, Va., against Georgetown. First pitch is set for 2:30 p.m.

Number Crunch: 16

The number of rebounds Temple forward Lavoy Allen had Saturday afternoon in the Owls’ 57-41 win over GW.