Area renovation plans to be released next month

Renovation plans for the West End Library and Engine 1 fire station are expected to be released to the community in March, almost a year after former D.C. Mayor Adrian Fenty announced the developer.

Residents will be able to provide feedback and comments on the proposed plans to redevelop the library located at 24th and L streets and the fire station at 23rd and M streets.

“The community is expecting the see drawings in March on the plans for the library and fire stations,” said Rebecca Coder, chair of the Advisory Neighborhood Commission.

Though it is about a year since the developer was chosen for the two properties, Joe Sternlieb, vice president of acquisitions at EastBanc, said it usually takes longer for projects to develop.

“We are still in the concept design and schematic design stages right now,” Sternlieb said. “Our goal is to address what everyone wants, so hopefully it will be a smooth process bringing forth our plans based on the feedback they [residents] have given us before, after which we can approach the Zoning Commission.”

The project’s plans must be approved by the D.C. Zoning Commission and D.C. Council before being implemented.

The mixed-use development is expected to cost $150 million to build and includes two main buildings.

One building will include a library, retail stores and residential section, and the other will include a fire station and residential section.

The Office of the Deputy Mayor for Planning and Economic Development, which oversees development projects in D.C., didn’t return request for comment.

Construction for the project is scheduled to break ground in 2013.