Lifton signs open letter condemning noise ordinance

Student Association President Jason Lifton signed an open letter to D.C.’s top officials this week, expressing concern over the District’s new noise ordinance that gives police officers the power to jail or fine students being “unreasonably loud” in residential neighborhoods.

The letter, addressed to Mayor Vincent Gray, D.C. Council Chairman Kwame Brown, Acting Attorney General Irvin Nathan and Police Chief Cathy Lanier, asked for a “clarification” of the law’s reach. Students have taken issue with the wording of the ordinance.

“We are in pressing need of further clarification in order to properly disseminate information to our students about the impact it will have on their daily lives. There does not seem to be a specific level of sound deemed ‘unreasonably loud’ or a hard and fast test able to be implemented by police at the scene,” the letter reads.

The ordinance makes it illegal for any person to make an unreasonably loud noise between 10 p.m. and 7 a.m. that is likely to disturb neighbors, but does not explain how police will judge “unreasonably loud” noises.

Lifton signed on after the Student Association Senate voted to condemn the ordinance Feb. 8.

Student leaders from the University of the District of Columbia, American, Catholic, Georgetown  and Howard universities also signed the letter sponsored by DC Student Alliance.