Sports in Brief

Dragons slay Colonials at home with strong defense

It was the kind of awakening a team never wants to receive. The Colonials entered their second game of the season against Drexel with confidence after demolishing Howard 21-3 in the season opener, but were overpowered by the Dragons in their second outing. The 14-9 loss served as a wakeup call for the women’s lacrosse team.

Drexel’s strong defensive effort overwhelmed the Colonials Saturday, playing a strong press that kept GW from being particularly effective on offense.

“They were pressuring us today and we didn’t play well at all against that pressure,” head coach Tara Hannaford said. “We have to be able to adapt and also stick to our game plan.”

Drexel quickly took control of the game, jumping out to a 4-0 lead early in the first. The Colonials fought back, cutting the Dragons’ lead to a single point by halftime. GW had the necessary momentum heading into the second, but failed to capitalize on its strong finish before halftime.

“We have to be consistent,” Hannaford said. “And when we are playing well we have to maintain it.”

GW’s top performer Saturday was sophomore attack Nicole Lacey, who scored four goals and added an assist against the stingy Drexel defense. Despite the loss Lacey was adamant tha the Colonials have potential for a successful season.

“I think that we really could’ve worked a lot better as a team. I don’t think that we were really working as a cohesive unit,” Lacey explained. “I think that we can be a phenomenal team if we get all of this together.”

Junior midfielder Sarah Phillips also had a strong game for the Colonials, finishing with a goal and two assists. Senior goalkeeper Liz Hoffman matched her career high with 17 saves throughout the game.

Hannaford said she hoped GW can be focused going into the rest of its season, asserting the talent is there – she just needs her team to realize its own capabilities.

“[This team] is a lot quicker than we have been in the past,” Hannaford said, “but I think we still need to realize that if we want our offense, defense and transition games to be really successful.”

Though visibly frustrated after the rough showing against Drexel, Hannaford was clear in expressing what her goals are for this season.

“As a team, our goals are really to first have everyone work fast together and work hard every day,” Hannaford said, “Ultimately, the big prize is the A-10 Championship.”

The Colonials next play Wednesday, Feb. 23, when they’ll face American on Jacobs Field at 3 p.m.

Jake Deitcher

Number Crunch: 38

The number of minutes men’s basketball junior guard Tony Taylor played in GW’s win Satuday night.