Sports in Brief

Colonials trample Bison in season opener at home

Midway through the first half of the women’s lacrosse team’s season-opening game Wednesday afternoon against Howard, the officials stopped a pair of players for a stick check, a precaution against lacrosse sticks with pouches that are too deep.

The referees quickly cleared both players and the Howard bench erupted with half-sarcastic cheers of, “Way to be legal.” It wound up being the only real opportunity to cheer for the Bison bench in a 21-3 drubbing handed to them by the Colonials.

“We just wanted to, offensively, work on moving the ball, pushing the pace on attack, pushing the pace on the transition offense and then being extremely aggressive both on our defensive end and our transition defense,” GW head coach Tara Hannaford said. “We wanted to be fast, fast all over the field.”

The Colonials weren’t just faster than the Bison, they were dominant in nearly every statistical category. GW outshot Howard 41-4 and won 10 more faceoffs than the Bison. Nine Colonials scored Wednesday afternoon compared to just one who scored all three of Howard’s goals.

GW was led by junior Megan Seidman whose six goals were just one short of the program record for goals in a single game. Junior Sarah Phillips had three goals and four assists giving her seven points for the afternoon.

“I felt good. I wish I would have finished with a higher shooting percentage than I did,” Seidman said. “I missed a couple and that’s what I’m working on, finishing everything I take.”

The victory provided an early boost of confidence to a Colonials team that Hannaford said had high expectations for this season.

“Today is a great day for them. They got to see a lot of positive and can carry that forward to bring that momentum to Saturday,” Hannaford said. “Right now, it’s really taking it day to day. We have Drexel on Saturday. I don’t know that the program’s ever beaten Drexel, so that’s our next goal, to try to get a win against a team that we haven’t beaten.”

Number Crunch: 21

The number of goals scored by the women’s lacrosse team in its season-opening victory over Howard Wednesday.