Landlord shuts down Adams Mill

The bar where Laura Treanor drank the night before she died will shut its doors Sunday, after the bar’s landlord decided to not renew its lease.

Adams Mill Bar and Grill manager Paulie Kerinf said the bar is being forced to close because the property’s owner did not want to house the business any longer.

The bar has faced a series of investigations by the Alcoholic Beverage Regulation Administration over the past years.

Treanor visited the bar Jan. 22, 2009, the night before she was found dead in her Ivory Tower room.

A week earlier, ABRA levied a $12,000 fine and a 10-day suspension on Adams Mill. The penalties were levied after ABRA determined the bar served alcohol after hours and to overly intoxicated patrons, according to ABRA documents obtained by The Hatchet.

That October, the bar served undercover investigators shots and mixed drinks in addition to beverages they ordered, violating a D.C. law that prohibits serving customers “back-up drinks” – or more drinks before prior drinks are finished.

Bartenders at Adams Mill also drank shots while serving the investigators, according to an ABRA report. Adams Mill has also seen ownership switches over the past few years to save the bar’s liquor license after multiple violations.

An ABRA investigation of Adams Mill was launched 8 months after Treanor died, but stalled shortly thereafter. An ABRA spokeswoman did not immediately respond to a request for comment on Adams Mill’s closing.

Kerinf declined to provide contact information or the name of the building’s landlord.

The bar held a farewell party Sunday evening. Serving customers on a cash-only basis, the managers and staff reflected on 11 years as one of D.C.’s favorite summer hangouts.

“Adams Mill was an icon here for Adams Morgan and has been here for 11 years and will be surely missed,” Kerinf said.