Gymnastics scores season high in victory over William & Mary

Led by senior Leslie Delima’s three first-place finishes, the gymnastics team beat William & Mary Sunday, 192.500-187.825.

Delima, who won the all-around with a score of 38.825, took first place in the vault, balance beam and floor exercise against the Tribe. Delima has been the top performer for the Colonials for the bulk of the season, and her strong performance rubbed off on her teammates Sunday.

“We all encourage one another and have great chemistry,” Delima said.

Sophomore Kayla Carto placed second in the all-around largely on the strength of a pair of third-place finishes in the vault and the floor exercise. Freshman Kiera Kenny won the balance beam with a career-high score of 9.775 and junior Amanda Murphy won second place in both the vault and the floor exercise. Freshman Betsy Zander also had an encouraging performance, putting up GW’s third-best score of the day with a 37.6.

Head coach Margie Foster-Cunningham said she was pleased with her team’s performance Sunday, especially in light of its upcoming schedule. GW will have road meets each of the next three weekends, followed by a home meet and one more road meet before the East Atlantic Gymnastics League championships, which GW will host at the Smith Center March 19.

“We are hoping for a strong finish since we are currently ranked seventh,” Foster-Cunningham said after watching her team post its highest overall score of the season. “Consistency is the most important thing at this point.”

Coming up for GW is a meet in Morgantown, W.Va., against West Virginia and Florida next Sunday at 1 p.m.