Sports in Brief

Women’s soccer announces recruiting class for 2011

The women’s soccer team announced its seven-member recruiting class Wednesday afternoon, highlighted by Centreville, Va., native Elizabeth Casey and Fairfax, Va., native Margaret Murphy.

Casey, who played club soccer for the Football Club Virginia Cardinals, was ranked as the 63rd best women’s soccer recruit by Top Drawer Soccer, a website dedicated to club college soccer across the country. Casey was also an Olympic Development Program pool player in her region.

“Elizabeth is the epitome of a steady, smart player,” women’s soccer head coach Tanya Vogel said. “She possesses poise and will help control the middle of the park. She has great vision and the ability to strike the ball 60+ yards.”

Murphy, the other local player who will be joining the Colonials next season, was also a member of the Olympic Development Pool in both 2006 and 2007. The forward played club soccer for McLean Azul and attended Fairfax High School in Virginia.

“Meg is a force to be reckoned with up front. Her athleticism, matched with her size makes her an ideal target forward,” Vogel said. “She can strike a ball from 30 yards out and appears to score at will. We are thrilled to have Meg join our current forwards as she adds a different element. Our front will be working on all cylinders this fall.”

Joining Murphy and Casey on the Colonials team this fall will be defenders Alex Brothers and Madison Davis, as well as midfielders Nicole Belfonti and MacKenzie McIndoe. Forward Taylor Katz rounds out GW’s incoming class.

The soon-to-be freshman will join a Colonials team that lost 10 players to graduation after a season in which it went 9-9 overall and 3-6 in the Atlantic 10.

Upcoming Games

Women’s basketball
vs. Massachusetts
Smith Center
Saturday, 2 p.m.

Men’s Basketball
at Massachusetts
Amherst, Mass.
Sunday, 4 p.m.

Women’s tennis
at Temple
Philadelphia
Sunday, 12 p.m.

Men’s tennis
at Columbia
New York
Sunday, 2 p.m.

Women’s gymnastics
vs. William and Mary
Smith Center
Sunday, 3 p.m.

Number Crunch: 7

The number of players in the women’s soccer team’s 2011 recruiting class.