GW to centralize wireless networks this summer
By Hannah Marr, Assistant News Editor • April 25, 2024
GW to renovate Pelham Commons this summer
By Barry Yao, Staff Writer • April 25, 2024

GW launches campaign to promote goals

As GW approaches its 200th anniversary, top administrators are promoting their broad strategy for improving the University.

Under a tentative title of Vision 2021 – the year the University celebrates its 200th birthday – the goals include investing in research, increasing diversity among faculty, staff and students, building strategic partnerships with government, industry and non-profit sectors, and recruiting the best students and faculty to GW – all long-stated goals of University President Steven Knapp.

“The last decade leading up to the anniversary will be transformative as we continue to build George Washington as the premier university in the heart of this nation’s capital,” University Provost Steven Lerman said.

Another priority for the University is investing in new facilities like the $275-million Science and Engineering Complex – the most expensive building project in GW history – and the new School of Public Health and Health Services building, which is scheduled to break ground in early 2012.

Lerman said the vision may later replace the Strategic Plan for Academic Excellence GW began 8 years ago. Developed in tandem with faculty members from each school, the plan set in motion initiatives like the first-year University Writing Program and a review of GW’s doctoral programs.

Lerman will discuss the University’s tentative goals over the next 10 years during a nationwide tour promoting the Power and Promise Fund for financial aid that began Jan. 26 in Naples, Fla.

The trip has taken him to three cities in Florida: Palm Beach, Miami and Naples. Visits are planned for New York City as well as Silicon Valley and Los Angeles, Cali.

“[Alumni are] excited about where we’re headed. They’re excited about the energy,” Lerman said. “They’re excited about the general buzz about GW being a great place to go to school.”

Andrea Vittorio contributed to this report.