Board to set tuition, financial aid

The University’s highest governing body is set to approve next year’s tuition increase and financial aid pool amount at its quarterly meeting this Friday.

The University will likely request between $155 and $159 million toward financial aid from the Board of Trustees, Robert Chernak, senior vice provost and senior vice president for Student and Academic Support Services, said last month – an increase of nearly $10 million from this year’s aid pool.

Last year, the Board voted to increase the financial aid pool by 10 percent, and later approved an additional $2 million in funds, after 400 students saw cuts in their aid packages that affected their ability to remain enrolled in the school.

The Board has routinely agreed to raise tuition by 3 percent for the following academic year, less than the national average for tuition increases.

At the last meeting in October, the Board approved plans for the $275 million Science and Engineering Complex, slated to begin construction later this year.

Although the SEC is not on the agenda for this week, Board of Trustees Chairman Russell Ramsey said the Board will be kept abreast of its progress.

“It is a project that is key to the continued growth of The George Washington University as a world-class research institution, and we look forward to hearing about developments at future Board meetings,” Ramsey said.