Area Walgreens to start selling alcohol

A local Walgreens in the West End neighborhood received approval to sell alcohol this month, after residents and management came to an agreement on how the beverages will be sold.

Foggy Bottom and West End Advisory Neighborhood Commission chair Rebecca Coder said the Alcoholic Beverage Control Board approved a cooperative agreement between the store and its neighbors.

“It outlines hours for sales which are consistent with Trader Joe’s, and addresses the total percentage of shelf space for beer and wine inventory, approach to sales management practices as well as establishes no loitering policies,” Coder said.

An exact date isn’t set for when liquor will arrive at the 24-hour drugstore – located at 1217 22nd St. – but the store’s manager, who declined to give her name, said the location will be offering beer and wine.

The agreement stipulates that beer and wine may be sold between 9 a.m. and 10 p.m., seven days a week. Single containers and kegs of beer may not be sold, and neither are malt liquors, fortified wines – which includes brandy – wine coolers, or containers of wine less than 750 milliliters.

Limits have been placed on the store advertising beer and wine, and the products can only take up 2 percent of floor space. The store also must take measures to prevent consumption on the premises and loitering.

Last year, neighbors pushed to have changes made to the store’s appearance with the aid of the ANC before agreeing to Walgreens’ sale of alcohol. Coder said the store’s windows previously had tattered paper in them, a cause of concern for residents.

She said through collaboration with residents and Walgreens, the West End store agreed to upgrade its window displays to “make the store more inviting.”

Coder said the ANC would have taken a formal position on the store’s liquor license, but missed the Alcoholic Beverage Regulation Administration filing deadline.