Sports In Brief

Delima continues success but gymnastics loses

GW came in last in a three-team meet with North Carolina State and Iowa State Friday, scoring a 190.300 overall.

Senior Leslie Delima continued her streak of impressive performances, placing second in the all-around with a 38.650. She also recorded a career-high on the balance beam, posting a 9.900 to win the event. Delima’s balance beam score Friday tied her with GW Hall of Famer Devin McCalla for seventh place in GW history.

The Colonials were unable to win any event as a team, despite Delima’s efforts. Freshmen Betsy Zander and Kiera Kenney performed well, with Zander earning a 9.550 on both the vault and the uneven bars, and Kenney leading the team with a 9.600 on the bars. Junior Brittany Burnham finished second on the team with a 9.600 on the balance beam.

The Colonials will gear up next to host William and Mary at 3 p.m. Sunday, Feb. 13, in the Smith Center.

GW wins doubles, loses match vs. Old Dominion

Despite sweeping all three doubles matches, the men’s tennis team fell 4-3 to Old Dominion Friday.

All three Colonials doubles teams won to start the meet, the first time in five seasons that GW had won the doubles point over the Monarchs.

The Colonials were unable to sustain their momentum, however, and Old Dominion ultimately bested GW in singles matches on its way to victory. Colonials freshmen Viktor Svensson and Ulrik Thomsen won their matches in straight sets, the only two GW players to win in singles.