Letter to the Editor

Univ. stands behind October plan for Gelman

I was pleased to read in last Thursday’s edition about the active role of students in a recent discussion of Gelman Library renovation plans. The article suggested, however, that the administration’s approach to this project has changed from what it was last October. In fact, we are proceeding exactly as was stated by President Steven Knapp at that time.

Unlike some other projects, in this case we do not have a revenue stream (such as tuition or research funding) that we can use to pay for the renovations, and that is why we continue to seek external support from generous donors. Nevertheless, we are proceeding with the planning process, which includes identifying internal funding sources and taking a fresh look at the use of library space in light of changing technology and user needs.

There is no doubt on our part about the importance of getting this project done as expeditiously as possible, and we welcome the involvement of students in this process. That is why we have been working closely with the Student Association and created a student committee to advise us on the project. I encourage all interested students to share their ideas with Jenny Wiley, the Gelman student liaison, or Jason Lifton, the Student Association president.

Steven Lerman is the provost and executive vice president for academic affairs and A. James Clark Professor of Civil and Environment Engineering.