MFA looks to double number of doctors

The GW Medical Faculty Associates is looking to double the number of doctors at the practice over the next five years.

The MFA, a nonprofit organization that split from the University in 2000, is looking to add 450 doctors to expand its services throughout the District.

The group purchased space at 2300 M St. in October, currently leased by the German Embassy, and also signed a 10-year lease for space near the Reston Hospital Center.

MFA Marketing Director Kathryn McGriff said not all of the doctors will be on the University’s main Foggy Bottom Campus, but spread throughout the District.

“The expansion will take multiple different forms,” she says.

McGriff declined to answer questions about the expansion process, recruitment of new doctors, and what facilities would be needed to support the growth.

The MFA is following a nationwide growth trend among health care providers, anticipating changes in the health care market, according to the Washington Journal.

MFA Chief Executive Officer Stephen Badger told the Washington Journal that doctors concerned with professional independence would be inclined to join the group because the MFA does not required doctors to send patients to any specific hospitals.

“The MFA expects this expansion to continue at an accelerated pace over the next few years,” McGriff said.