Sodexo launches ‘Meatless Monday’

The company tasked with running J Street and Pelham Commons unveiled plans for a “Meatless Monday” – an initiative to have a vegetarian-based entrée on the dining halls’ menus each week.

Sodexo hopes to have the program running in each of the 650 college campuses it caters by the fall, according to its website, and several dozen colleges are already participating, including nearby George Mason University. A Sodexo official said GW is still mulling over whether or not to participate.

“It’s something that we’re talking about right now,” Sam Ramos, the general manager of Sodexo services at GW, said. “We are discussing it.”

The switch would only affect the Sodexo-run areas of J Street – not the outside contractors – and would not eliminate all meats from the dining areas. The company would instead offer one vegetarian entrée along side the regular fare.

Melissa Eddison, president of the Food Justice Alliance, said the University should give the new option a try.

“I think it would be a good opportunity for students to explore new experiences,” Eddison said. “They should embrace Meatless Monday and try and be creative with their choices of food.”

Other students agreed that bringing more vegetarian options to campus would be a good idea.

“I think it’s a good thing, especially for students who have J Street money and want healthier choices,” Michelle Joseph, a senior, said.