Dancing with Colonials

While students planned for yet another Thursday night, six GW dance teams brought the Lisner Auditorium stage to life with six unique dance forms for Class Council’s third annual dance competition, REPRESENT.

GW Raas, GW Ballroom, Capital Funk, GW Chamak, Balance and GW Bhangra performed for an ecstatic audience and a panel of judges for the chance to win a $300 cash prize and the right to call themselves the best GW dance group.

Excitement and palpable energy were understatements both on and off stage as the audience cheered for its favorite dance crews as they showcased their diversity and talent.

Capital Funk and GW Raas presented an incredible showcase of passion and expertise within their own dance genres, but their energy was unmatched by the night’s Best Overall Performance winner, GW Bhangra.

The team captain, Guneet Sodhi, said it was an incredible feeling to perform.

“It was so nerve-wracking just before the event with us, and we even messed up a bit during the performance,” Sodhi said.

Bhangra is an energetic dance originating from Punjab, India. Screaming “hadippa,” a traditional Punjabi expression of joy and excitement, GW Bhangra amazed the audience with brightly colored costumes, complex formations, dance props and a great deal of energy.

“We’re just really honored and happy with this, because we really put in our all and danced our hearts out, so it’s great to be appreciated for it,” Sodhi said.

Bhangra’s captain also claimed the individual component of the competition where representatives from each team showcased their unique dance forms for the crowd’s approval.

Capital Funk swept the rest of the categories including Best Individual Performance and Best Choreography.

“The competition was tough,” captain of Capital Funk, Jonathan Chien, said. “I also feel it’s kind of difficult to judge such different genres because the groups are all so diverse and have something different to bring to the stage.”

Chien also said it was great to perform at Lisner Auditorium and found Capital Funk’s fans energizing and motivating.

“We’re just so honored to have such a great following, especially since we’re the only hip-hop dance group,” Chien said.

The event was co-sponsored by Program Board and won Program Board’s Event of the Year at the GW Excellence Awards last year. Class Council president Kenny Cobbs was proud of the turnout, despite the weather.

“I was expecting it to be kind of low, but I’m really glad that the GW student body decided to come out and experience it,” Cobbs said. “Our organization generally looks to promote community and I think this is the best way to do it.”

After GW Raas won REPRESENT last year, captain Urvi Patel said it’s always such a good feeling to perform in front of GW when so many competitions are off campus.

“Tonight was competition as always,” Patel said. “Every team just brings it.”