Cabinet officials to unveil dietary guidelines at GW

Two secretaries from the Obama administration will be on campus Monday to unveil the government’s freshest recommendations for healthy eating.

Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack and Department of Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius will outline the 2010 Dietary Guidelines for Americans at the Jack Morton Auditorium, but the presentation of the updated food pyramid is expected to be met with protests for a simplified system.

Unsatisfied with government action on obesity, a group of doctors and dieticians have launched a campaign demanding a healthy alternative to the Department of Agriculture’s confusing MyPyramid – a pyramid diagram that outlines the amount and types of food Americans should consume in order to lead a healthy lifestyle.?

The doctors, led by Neal Barnard, M.D., president of the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine, protested outside the White House?last week and sent letters to President Barack Obama and Vilsack calling on them to replace MyPyramid with the Power Plate.?

The plate-shaped graphic – developed by the PCRM – is divided into four food groups: fruits, vegetables, grains, and legumes. PCRM members say the color-coded plate is easier to understand than the redesigned pyramid.

Sebelius and Vilsack will announce the new guidelines, which outline ways to promote health and reduce the risk of obesity through nutritional and physical activity guidelines, at Jan. 31 at 10 a.m.

UPD is prepared to provide additional security for the event if necessary, University spokeswoman Candace Smith said.