Marvin Center evacuated after report of odor in stairwell

The Marvin Center was evacuated Saturday but fire officials confirmed there was no fire.

The Marvin Center was evacuated Saturday at about 2:20 p.m. after a student reported an odor in a stairwell, but a D.C. Fire official confirmed there were no signs of fire.

Three firetrucks responded to the call, but John Ellis, a D.C. fire responder, said there was no smoke or fire and the scene would be cleared shortly.

D.C. Fire Spokesman Pete Piringer said the odor might have been caused by an overused elevator motor.

The Hatchet has disabled comments on our website. Learn more.