University submits SEC zoning details

University officials addressed issues of design, sustainability and parking replacement for the Science and Engineering Complex in a pre-hearing statement to the D.C. Zoning Commission earlier this month.

The commission requested additional information on these points at a meeting in December, after GW filed an application for approval to construct the complex.

Commissioner Michael Turnbull said in December he wants the University to offer more detailed drawings of the complex, and also requested more detail on the green roof features.

“It is a massive project and it does take up a lot of space and it would be nice to see a sample board with the colors of the materials and really get a better feel as to what is going on with this,” Turnbull said.

The commission will hold a public hearing March 24 where organizations and individuals interested in the project can offer their support or disapproval for the project.

At the hearing, GW will present a revised set of plans for the SEC, illustrating an altered design for the building’s entrances and facades, according to the statement.

The University also explained about 19 percent of the roof will be green and a chilled beam system, which uses water and less energy, will take the place of regular air conditioning.

Vice Chairman Konrad Schlater requested information on how GW plans to offset the loss of more than 1,000 parking spots in December, as the SEC will sit where the current University Parking Garage is located at 22nd and H streets.

In response, the University said the Square 103 underground parking portion of the new Law Learning Center, the South Hall parking garage and spots at Square 54 will be sufficient to replace the spots.

Before Square 103 is completed, GW plans to lease parking spaces at the Kennedy Center.

Chairman Anthony Hood questioned GW’s community outreach efforts, asking if the Advisory Neighborhood Commission has information on the project.

GW officials attend ANC meetings and presented the plans to the community, according to the statement.

Initial construction preparations for the SEC began in November, when the University drilled three test pits on the parking garage.

GW has also filed for zoning for Square 39, the future home of the School of Public Health and Health Services, and the underground Law Learning Center garage at Square 103.

A public hearing for zoning for the Law Learning Center garage will take place Feb. 3.