‘Superdorm’ plans unconfirmed, on no timeline

The University is pushing forward with plans for a new residence hall project colloquially known as the “superdorm,” but administrators are still unsure if the project will be a superdorm at all.

The proposed development site represents the area currently occupied by Crawford, Schenley and the West End residence halls, but University officials have not decided if the new project will keep the buildings separate, or will move to combine them into one large structure, University spokeswoman Michelle Sherrard said.

Sherrard added at this time, nothing is set in stone with the project.

In September 2009, Alicia O’Neil, senior associate vice president for operations, said the University planned to spend $300,000 on a feasibility study to determine if the buildings could be replaced or renovated, but the University did not return a request for further comment on the study.

Sherrard declined to answer if this study occurred.

“There are not currently any active design or construction activities surrounding this potential project,” Sherrard said. “While GW intends to pursue this project, a timeline has not been established for moving forward.”

Sherrard said the University will need to develop a plan to accommodate student housing during construction when the project moves ahead, as the three residence halls currently house nearly 550 students, according to the GW Housing Programs website.

While nothing has been confirmed, Sherrard said the University intends to preserve the buildings’ facades for historic purposes, similar to what GW did with Lafayette Hall, which kept the outside of the building intact while completely renovating the interior.

“The nature of the project is a result of GW’s commitment to retain the front portions of these buildings under the Historic Preservation Plan,” Sherrard said.