Injuries force five Colonials to watch from sidelines

From left to right:

Kye Allums:

Concussions have caused problems for Allums dating back to the guard’s high school career as a soccer player. Allums sustained two concussions this season, first against Coppin State Nov. 18 and against Miami Dec. 28, and will see a concussion specialist sometime in the middle of next week.

Megan Nipe:

Nipe re-aggravated the same meniscus injury that sidelined her for most of last season during GW’s season-opening trip to Minneapolis for the Best Buy Classic.The injury will keep her out for the rest of this season, a tough blow for the Colonials since The sophomore had been averaging 32 minutes per game in the four games she played this season.

Eric Chandler:

The Colonials freshman fractured her right foot in practice but tried to play through the injury, downplaying it to the GW coaching staff and medical team before an examination exposed the extent of the injury. Head coach Mike Bozeman said the injury will keep her sidelined for six to eight weeks.

Kirsten Aldridge:

Aldridge separated her shoulder Jan. 19 against Dayton and hasn’t played since. The junior guard has had issues with shoulder separations over the course of her career, and lik ike many of her teammates, she will have her shoulder looked at by a specialist. Head coach Mike Bozeman said he wasn’t sure when she’d be available again.

Shi-Heria Shipp:

Shipp’s knee has bothered her since the preseason, and the sophomore guard has played just 5 minutes all year. Head coach Mike Bozeman said she’ll see a knee specialist in the coming weeks, but he “can’t really expect her back,” this season.